The History of Commack and Dix Hills
In colonial times, Commack was the site of a great dispute. Several court battles were fought by the Smith family and the town of Huntington, between 1665 and 1677, over the ownership of the land that makes up present-day Commack. These disputes are the reason Commack straddles Huntington Township and Suffolk Township.
During the Revolutionary War, British forces set up a camp in the Commack area, on Commack Road. The British soldiers often gathered at the Ezekiel Wicks hotel which was also a stagecoach stop. Many Revolutionary War heroes such as Caleb Smith and the Rev. Joshua Hartt lived in the Commack area. Fort Salonga was the site of a battle which blocked the British ships from leaving New York to aid British General Cornwallis.
By 1900 Commack had grown enough to necessitate the formation of the Commack Union Free School District. After the Second World War, Commack was the site of a great deal of residential and commercial development. In fact, as a result of the Baby Boom, the local high school burst at the seams and a new school was built while classes were split up and funnelled off to different schools.
At the present time, Commack is a pleasant suburban community with a population of approximately 37,000.
For more information on the History of Commack, New York visit: www.CommackHistory.com.
In 1908, the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway, America's first concrete, limited-access highway, was completed. During the Gold Coast period, Dix Hills was home to the great estates of the Goulds, Vanderbilts and Baruchs.
It is a little-known fact that Dix Hills was home to one of the greatest American jazz musicians. John Coltrane spent the last years of his life in Dix Hills. It was there that he recorded A Love Supreme, which many consider to be his best work. On May 4, 2004, the Huntington Town Council voted to designate the John Coltrane a local Historical landmark. For more information on the
Coltrane House visit http://www.dixhills.com.